The PNA is an assessment of the need for a type of service rather than a service provided by a particular type of contractor. Pharmaceutical services can be provided by Dispensing Doctors, Dispensing Appliance Contractors, Local Pharmaceutical Service Contractors as well as Community Pharmacies.
Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment and the Health & Wellbeing Board
PNAs are used to guide decisions on which NHS funded services need to be provided by local community pharmacies and other providers.
In order to reflect local changes, PNAs must be updated every three years or earlier, if, any significant changes in pharmaceutical service provision occur within the PNA boundary.
The NHS regulations of April 2013 state that Health & Wellbeing Boards (HWB) must produce their first PNA no later than 1st April 2015. This will require board-level sign-off and a period of public consultation beforehand.
Warwickshire County Council (WCC) has commissioned the services of NHS Arden Commissioning Support to help develop their new PNA which is due to published in April 2015. The Local Pharmacy Committee (LPC), Local Medical Committee (LMC) and WCC are actively involved in the multidisciplinary working group which is developing the PNA.
Warwickshire’s PNA will be informed by, and aligned to, the County’s Joint Strategic Needs Assessment (JSNA). This is the overarching document which analyses the current and future health and wellbeing needs of the local population to inform the commissioning of health, wellbeing and social care services. The JSNA aims to establish a shared, evidence based consensus on the key local priorities across health and social care and is used to develop Warwickshire’s Health and Wellbeing Strategy.
What is included in a Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment?
The content of PNAs is set out in Schedule 1 to the NHS (Pharmaceutical and Local Pharmaceutical Services) Regulations 2013. The PNA must contain:
- A statement of the pharmaceutical services provided that are necessary to meet needs in the area;
- A statement of the pharmaceutical services that have been identified by the HWB that are needed in the area, and are not provided (gaps in provision);
- A statement of the other services which are provided, which are not needed, but which have secured improvements or better access to pharmaceutical services in the area;
- A statement of the services that the HWB has identified as not being provided, but which would, if they were to be provided, secure improvements or better access to pharmaceutical services in the area;
- A statement of other NHS services provided by a local authority, the NHS Commissioning Board (NHS England), a Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) or an NHS Trust, which affect the needs for pharmaceutical services;
- An explanation of how the assessment has been carried out (including how the consultation was carried out); and
- A map of providers of pharmaceutical services.
More information about Pharmaceutical Needs Assessments can be found below.
Warwickshire’s last PNA produced in 2011 for 2010/11 can be found here.
Meeting minutes and actions are hosted here to keep you informed as to the progress of this work.
Warwickshire’s Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment 2015
Following the Pharmaceutical Needs Assessment consultation, the below documents are now available.
Appendix 1 – PNA Working Group membership
Appendix 2 – PNA Working Group Terms of Reference
Appendix 3 – Pharmacy contractor questionnaire
Appendix 4 – Dispensing GP questionnaire
Appendix 5a – PNA_Patient_Questionnaire
Appendix 5b – Public Engagement programme report
Appendix 5c – P&P questionnaire responses Map 2014
Appendix 5d – P&P questionnaire profile
Appendix 6a – Consultation Report
Appendix 6b – Consultation responses
Appendix 7a – Influenza service providers
Appendix 7b – Minor Ailment Scheme providers
Appendix 7c – Smoking cessation service providers
Appendix 7d – Supervised consumption providers
Appendix 7e – Needle Exchange providers
Appendix 7f – EHC providers
Appendix 7g – Chlamydia screening and treatment providers
Appendix 7h – Healthy Living Pharmacies
Appendix 8a – Pharmacy Contractor Opening Hours
Appendix 8b – Dispensing GP Practice Hours
Appendix 8c – Locality Map – North Warwickshire
Appendix 8d – Locality Map – Nuneaton & Bedworth
Appendix 8e – Locality Map – Rugby
Appendix 8f – Locality Map – Warwick
Appendix 8g – Locality Map – Stratford
Appendix 8h – Dispensing GPs map
Appendix 8j – Key to maps of service providers
Appendix 9 – Template for Assessment of Current Service Provision